La Alcazaba of Málaga
This fortress palace whose name in Arabic means citadel is one of the historical monuments of the city, a space visited for combining history and beauty in the same place.
From the Muslim era it is located at the foot of Mount Gibralfaro, where there is the Arab defensive castle to which it was linked by a corridor protected by walls called La Coracha; next to the Roman Theater and in front of the Aduana building, it is an opportunity to see in only a few meters the union of the Roman, Arab and Renaissance cultures, which makes this corner a very special place.
Built between 1057 and 1063 according to Muslim historians at the behest of the king of Berber taifas of Granada, Badis. In its construction, hauling materials were used and pieces of the Roman theater annex were reused, such as columns and capitals.
Later the Almoravids arrived in Malaga in 1092 and the Almohades in 1146. In 1279 the conquest of Muhammad II Ben al-Ahmar and passes to the Nazarite kingdom. Its reform gives it a deep imprint as a Nasrid building built on the rock. It combines the defense and beauty needs of an Arab palace organized with rectangular patios and bays around its gardens and ponds. Its rooms that, in the tradition of the architecture of Granada, look for in the interiors the alternation of lights and shades to achieve those games that dominate the Arab buffs so well.
Its military component makes it one of the most important Muslim works preserved in Spain. With matacanas, albarrana towers with loopholes and crenellated walls as defensive elements, nevertheless its best defense was in its situation, dominating from its balconies the city and the bay.
Around it there was a neighborhood, now totally disappeared, that even had its system to evacuate the faecal waters, and with latrines in almost all the houses, which attests to the high level of civilization that existed at that time.
It had successive reconstructions, some even in the twentieth century, and it is currently visited with important archaeological exhibits. In the first excavations for its restoration, remains of Roman walls of concrete coated with reddish stucco and small pools excavated in slate appeared, destined to the preparation of the Garum (fish paste elaborated by the Romans) and a dungeon where they locked up during the night to the Christian captives who worked during the day.